Saturday, April 16, 2016

Rajnish Gambhir – Author Interview – Family, Writing, Scotch and Golf


Rajnish Gambhir watched first ever film Sound of Music at the age of 5



Rajnish Gambhir is a down to earth guy whose family is his first priority



Rajnish Gambhir’s priorities are in the order – Family, Writing, Scotch, and Golf




He is a down-to-earth guy whose family is his first priority. Then his writing, followed by Scotch and golf! Meet Rajnish Gambhir.

Rajnish Mathur – Author Interview – Family, Writing, Scotch and Golf

Welcome, Rajnish. 
Your real name and pen name? Rajnish Gambhir

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood 
Till the age of 9, I lived in a large joint family in a huge 'haveli' (built by my late grandfather). My fondest childhood memories are of the years spent in this 'haveli' - be it playing cricket with my cousins, uncles, and friends or going for picnics or participating in festivities together! I also fondly recall watching my first ever film, ( 'Sound of Music' ) at the age of 5.

About your education? 
Went to St. Paul's School (Darjeeling) and La Martiniere for Boys (Kolkata), before graduating in Commerce from St. Xavier's College (Kolkata).

What career did you plan during your education days? 
I always dreamt of becoming a doctor. Even during childhood, my favorite possession was a 'Doctors' set' (or sets) that my mother would frequently buy me!

Rajnish Mathur – Author Interview – Family, Writing, Scotch and Golf

What languages you can speak and write? English,Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali (though I cannot write in Gurmukhi).

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life? 
The loving bond with my wife and children.

What hurts you most in this world? 
Not that I'm easily hurt. But yes, at times when I'm misunderstood by a loved one!

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living dead personality, who would it be and why? Rajesh Khanna (of the early seventies). I'm his huge fan - out of his seventeen consecutive hits of the early seventies, I don't think I've missed watching even a single one. Reason - To relish the fame of receiving letters 'written in blood' by beautiful women!! Also to get the opportunity in having myself filmed opposite Sharmila Tagore for the evergreen romantic number, 'Mere dil mein aaj kya hai' (Daag).

What is your favorite genre and why? 
Fiction and Biographies.

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing? 
I 'casually' wrote throughout my school and college days (basically poetry) - but all confined to my 'secret diary'. Post marriage, I would often choose blank cards and script poetic lines before presenting them to my wife! Presently I am more into novels, as writing long stories provides me a platform to share my thoughts with my readers through the characters I have so lovingly created!

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a
synopsis of your work? My debut novel, 'A Passion Beyond Extremes' (Leadstart) was published in 2013. The novel is an intriguing love triangle set in Calcutta, Darjeeling and Bombay, shrouded in a well crafted mystery. The second novel, 'Honour For A Ransom' has been recently published by Leadstart (March 2016). This is a heartrending love story set in Punjab and England during the pre and post colonial era with 'honour killing' as the major theme.

Rajnish Mathur – Author Interview – Family, Writing, Scotch and Golf


What are your forthcoming writings? 
I'm working on my 3rd novel which will be a romantic thriller.

What genres you write in and why? 
Romance, Romantic thrillers - because I have grown up reading these genres.

What keeps you motivating towards writing? 
The urge and curiosity to create interesting characters to shoulder the story I always wanted to tell.

If Writing a Book is taken as a project, What are the key essentials you
take care of in Project Management? Good editing, a striking cover, an appealing (but concise) back cover blurb and finally an effective book promotion strategy.

How do you plan, schedule and monitor your writing commitments? 
Since I'm not a full time writer, I do not have any fixed schedule for writing. For me, planning a chapter (or a part of it) along with the layout of the episodes and necessary research on essential facts together with jotting down relevant notes is an absolute pre-requisite. Once these are in place, writing becomes easy and then I needn't have a fixed schedule. It can be early morning or late night or even during office hours (when I'm relatively free!)


What are your future plans? To continue with my corporate job and simultaneously write more novels.

What is generally your preference in reading – a paper book or ebook? And
why? Paperbook definitely. The feel of a well published paperbook in your hands cannot be compared to any other format! Secondly I have grown up reading paperbacks and hardbacks since in our younger days e-books didn't exist.

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book? 
Basic plot, characterization, climax and flow. I have the first three clearly chalked out (in detail) before even embarking on the first chapter. I try to ensure that every chapter (or part there of) ends on an inquisitive note, prompting the reader to eagerly seek what's next. This is important in order to maintain an engaging 'flow' of the story being told. 

How much real life goes into a fiction writing? 
Quite a bit. I feel what one has actually experienced can be best expressed in words.

Is a high level of imagination important to have for an Author? 
Yes, of course.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What
best things you liked in these countries around the globe? Origin of birth - Kolkata. Countries visited / stayed - USA, UK, Nepal, Bangladesh, Thailand, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines,Taiwan, Dubai. The 'French Quarters' of New Orleans for its unique architecture, London for its 'old world charm' and Thailand for its mouthwatering local cuisine deserve a special mention.

Favorite time of the day? 
Late evening when I'm relaxed at home after a long day!

Your zodiac/ sun sign? 
Taurus.

Your favorite color and why? 
Blue. I guess it looks good on me.

What is the last book you finished reading? What is the current book you
are reading? Last book I read was 'A Prisoner of Birth' by Jeffery Archer. I am currently reading 'To kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee.

Your favorite book and why? Difficult to pick from a) Master of the Game (Sidney Sheldon) - simply loved the character 'Kate Blackwell' for her steely determination and ruthless business sense, b) Death on the Nile (Agatha Christie) - such a baffling murder mystery, superbly crafted and c) The Seventh Secret (Irving Wallace) - an incredible plot so skillfully woven by the author.  .

Your favorite movie and why? 
Amongst English - 'One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest' for Jack Nicholson's amazing performance and a heartrending script. Amongst Hindi - 'Aandhi' for award winning performances by Sanjeev Kumar and Suchitra Sen coupled with haunting melodies credited to Gulzar (lyrics) and R.D.Burman (music).

Your favorite celebrity and why?
Your favorite food? Chinese. Possessed with a 'sweet tooth', I am extremely fond of desserts too (Indian and Western), often amenable to second helpings!

Your favorite sports? 
Golf. 

What is the force that drives you? 
I always try and read the word 'Impossible' as 'I am possible'!

What comes to your mind when you think of India? 
Saare jaahan se acchha!

Some quickies: Sun or 
Moon, Laughter or Smile, Morning or Evening, Coffee
or 
TeaMountain or Sea, Long Drive or Short Drive, Silence or
Conversation, 
Water or Fire, Air or Earth, Mars or Jupiter, Tulip or Rose,
Red or 
Blue, Left or Right, Glance or Stare, Fame or Money, Boy or Girl,
Day or 
NightTree or Plant, Love or Passion

What three words come to your mind for each – Technology: essential, growth, employment, Life: precious, beautiful, useful, God: supreme, powerful, feared,
Humanity
: essential, charity, care, Terrorism: cowardice, insanity, inhuman, Racism: inhuman, arrogance, stupidity, Childhood Abuse, Love: God, family, friends, Parenting: love, care, education, Old age: respect, care, patience.

First thing you do in the morning after waking up? 
Quietly praise the Lord.

The last thing to do before sleep? 
Have a glass of water.

If one fine morning you wake up and find your sex changed to the opposite,
what will be your first reaction? Horrified!

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote 
'There is a higher court than courts of justice and that is the court of conscience. It supersedes all other courts'. (Mahatma Gandhi).

The last line of your autobiography would be?
I am truly thankful to God Almighty for what I am today.
The title of your autobiography would be? Will decide when I actually plan to write one!!

Links & other relevant details:
ISBN-10: 9352013921

ISBN-13: 9789352013920

ASIN: B01D1N4DR8

Publisher:
Leadstart Publishing (P) Ltd.





Amazon link: Honour For A Ransom




No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code