Sunday, April 17, 2016

Mark A Evans – It Takes Sacrifice to Fulfill a Responsibility

Author Interview Mark A Evans – Inspired to write from his career and adventures



Mark A Evans has lived in Maine, a northern state in the USA



Mark A Evans walked the Appalachian Trail early in his life




He has lived in Maine, a northern state in the USA for most of his life. His vocation has been that of a carpenter for over 35 years. Early in his life, he walked the Appalachian Trail. This is a 2000 mile hike that spans the better part of the east coast of America. His career and adventures gave him the inspiration to write “The Flame”.

Welcome, Mark.

Mark A Evans – It Takes Sacrifice to Fulfill a Responsibility


Q: Your real name and pen name?

A: I write under my real name. Mark A Evans, I’m very proud of my work, and it’s important to me to be associated with the content.

Q: Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

A: My fondest recollections are hiking and camping in the Maine woods. My family would spend a week deep in the wilderness every year.

Q: About your education?

A: This is a complicated answer. I dropped out of high school before my junior year. I spent many years in “the school of hard knocks”. While this was great for the content of my book, it was much worse for my ability to edit. It took me and my editor over a year and a half to edit the book.

Q: What career did you plan during your education days?

A: I fell into carpentry and learned the trade. I loved to work with my hands, and this vocation has served me well.

Q: What languages you can speak and write?

A: I’m afraid I’m limited to one language, English.

Q: What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?

A: My time spent in the woods, and with hard working tradesmen. Those of us who work building and constructing the homes we all live in makes you idealistic, and a realist, all at the same time. We know the harsh truths about what it takes to get things done, and the hope of a better life for everyone.

Mark A Evans – It Takes Sacrifice to Fulfill a Responsibility
This is a photo Mark used as a mock-up for the book cover photo shoot. It helped up setting the stage for the models. People may find this interesting.


Q: What hurts you most in this world?

A: Ignorance. Out of ignorance spawns, hate, fear, greed, and sloth. I have witnessed first-hand people choosing to remain ignorant because it’s easier than becoming educated and knowing better. We are witnessing this first hand all over the world, and it’s ugly.

Q: What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

A: Several times in my life I have been faced with a situation where I had to decide to either quit or see the project through to the end. Sometimes it takes sacrifice to fulfill a responsibility, even though you didn’t realize what you had signed up for. I have been proud of myself at these moments.


Q: If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

A: Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon. The man has been looking at that great sphere since the dawn of humanity. To be able to walk on its surface for even just a moment would be all inspiring.


Q: What is your favorite genre and why?

A: I write in the young adult genre, however, I love science fiction. Some of the greatest social commentaries come from these great writers. Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clark, and Ray Bradbury to name just a few. These are my idols. 

Q:When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

A:I started writing during the time my father was diagnosed with cancer. While helping him, I had time to do something creative. My book is the culmination of timing, and having something to say.


Q:Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

A: This is the synopsis from the back cover of my book.

We follow the adventures of Julie, a high school freshman living in a small midcoast Maine town.
      At a time of loss, Julie discovers that she has a very rare ability which will alter the future for her and her brother Ed.
      They have so much to learn and no one to help them.
      A boarding camp in the middle of the Maine woods, and strangers from distant countries await them. A mystery is afoot, and they are the only ones who can solve it.

Mark A Evans – It Takes Sacrifice to Fulfill a Responsibility
This is a photo from a trip Mark took shortly after the book was published. The building in the background is a lighthouse on the coast of Maine


Q: What are your forthcoming writings?

A: I am waiting for inspiration to strike again. When I wrote “The Flame”, I knew what I wanted to say. I poured myself into it. I will need some time before I figure out what I want to take on next. Many of my readers have asked me when I’ll have a sequel. The time will come, just not at this moment.


Q: What genres you write in and why?

A: I write in young adult. When the book came to me, the character that wanted to come out was a young high school aged girl. I let the book lead me where it wanted, and young adult is the destination it had in mind.

Q: What keeps you motivated towards writing?

A: It's experiencing like this interview, meeting with other authors, and speaking at a local school that motivates me onward. Writing has engaged me with the world.

Q: If Writing a Book is taken as a project, What are the key essentials you take care of in Project Management?

A: 1) Inspiration! I must have something to say. I cannot write vaporous fiction only for entertainment. If there is no meaning within the pages, why to write at all.
2) Write, write, write. I let everything out on the pages, then worry about changes and editing later.
3) Edit, edit, edit. The most horrible bloodletting experience I have every been through. Tim, I’m sure you can attest to the difficulty of this process.   

Q: What are your future plans?

A: I’m hoping to do some traveling and find new perspectives for future writings. I need the little girl in my story to grow up and save the world.

Q:What is generally your preference in reading – a paper book or ebook? And why?

A: Paperback. It’s the feel and smell of a book. The act of placing a bookmark between the pages is such a human experience. You cannot get that from a tablet computer.

Q: What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

A: It’s only one thing. That is to write whatever comes into my head as if I will be the only one to read it. No fear. You cannot hold back. Let the editor cut and slash, but while writing, put it all out there.

Q: How much real life goes into a fiction writing?
Is a high level of imagination important to have for an Author?

A: It is very important to me to have as much reality in the book as possible. I want human characters who are as vulnerable as the rest of us. The supernatural aspects of my books are very subtle; even though the book cover shows a more fantasy based book. 

Q:Your dream destination on Earth?

A: I’ll tell you, the greatest connections I have with ‘India’, the more I’m drawn to seeing it.

Q” Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

A: I was born in the USA and have traveled to some UK and European destinations. France, London, and Holland. What I love the best is the education and knowledge in Europe. In the US, we have a bad habit of only looking as far as the edges of our own shores. We are obsessed with ourselves and consumerism.  

Q: What is the force that drives you?

A: Sharing and promoting artful expressions. If we encourage our youth to find the exhilaration from art and writing, instead of consumption and superficial excitement, the world may be a much better place.


Q: What comes to your mind when you think of India?

A: I can only speak from my very, very, limited knowledge of India. My sense is a country deep in history and tradition, and a culture coming to terms with its poor, and wealthy opposites. 

A Note from Mark


Some quickies:
Q:Sun or Moon
A: Moon
Q:Laughter or Smile
A: Smile
Q: Morning or Evening
A: Morning
Q:Coffee or Tea
A: Coffee!!!
Q: Mountain or Sea
A: Mountain
Q: Long Drive or Short Drive
A: No Drive
Q: Silence or Conversation
A: Silence And Conversation, I need both at different times.
Q: Water or Fire, Air or Earth
A: Earth
Q: Mars or Jupiter
A: Jupiter
Q:Tulip or Rose
A: Rose,
Q: Fame or Money
A: Money
Q: Day or Night
A: Day
Q: Tree or Plant
A: Tree
Q: Love or Passion
A: Passion

Q: Your Finest Quote:

A: You hate most in others, what you hate most in yourself.

Q: The title of your autobiography would be…

A: Never let anyone tell you, you can’t do something.

Links and other details:

Paperback version: Create space book

Kindle version: kindle amazon page




No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code