Thursday, June 25, 2015

Author Interview: Nathan Robinson: Slightly Manic But Organise Chaos Well @natthewriter



Nathan Robinson is a horror writer living in Scunthorpe, England. He’s married with two monsters. As well as writing, he regularly reviews indie horror fiction for www.snakebitehorror.co.uk supporting up and coming horror talent. His debut novel 'Starers' was released to rave reviews. His short story collection was released in August 2013 containing 13 tales of terror and intrigue.

Your real name and pen name?
I haven’t got a pen name, I tend to go by Nathan Robinson. If I had a pen name I wouldn’t want anyone to find out.

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood
Definitely holidays with my family and the adventures we got up to. Pretty much every year we went to a little village in the Yorkshire Dales called Malham. We’d climb up through a collapsed cave system that has turned into a waterfall called Gordale Scar and head over the top of the moors and swim in a lake on the summit. We’d camp and pick wild garlic to garnish our breakfast. It’s one of my favourite places and I love going back. It’s a place of mystic beauty and adventure.

About your education
I suffered a traditional English education at a comprehensive school where the teachers spent more time dealing with those that chose to disrupt rather than learn. I was lumped in a few of the lower sets because of mild dyslexia and didn’t receive the education I wanted. If I could get a refund I would. 



What career did you plan during your education
I’ve always wanted to be a writer, but I’ve also dabbled with the idea of becoming an astronaut and a film maker.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life.
My children. They equally terrify and delight me every day. I worry about what harm could come to them and this is my only true fear. I’ve stopped reading newspapers as there’s far too many ideas in them for a writer. I’ve got enough ideas at the moment to last me ten books. 
What hurts you most in this world
Cruelty to children and animals. And my favourite TV shows ending.



What is the biggest challenge you have faced? Were you able to overcome it? How?
To be honest, I enjoy challenges. To be challenged is to prove your worth. And if you fail it doesn’t matter; at least you tried. I’ve climbed mountains, swam with sharks and walked on hot coals, the hardest thing I’ve ever done is becoming a father. Early on, it’s a tiring slog, never ending and with little reward aside from giggles and vomit. You learn to accept that it’ll get better and easier. Which it does. You just have to learn how to cope. Being a parent evolves you into a higher being.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?
Hunter S Thompson, because he makes crazy seem fun.

What is your favorite genre and why?
I’d have to say horror; possibly sliding towards thrillers.

What is the purpose of your writing?
Because it’s therapeutic. If I didn’t write I couldn’t imagine what kind of person I’d be. My head would explode from the pressure of ideas.


Which of your work published so far?
My first novel ‘Starers’ was published by Severed Press last year. It’s a anti-thesis to the traditional zombie novel and has been well received by readers and critics alike. I’ve just published a collection of thirteen of my short stories called ‘Devil Let Me Go,’ in which I did all of the artwork myself. Before this I’ve been published in numerous anthologies and on many websites including, Knightwatch Press, Rainstorm Press, Pseudopod and eight monthly winners on www.spinetinglers.co.uk and many more.

What are your forthcoming writings?
More short stories, a few collaborations, a sequel to ‘Starers’, another short story collection, an alien invasion novel. The list goes on.
What are your future plans?
Write and breathe. And a caravan holiday in Cleethorpes.


What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?
Sometimes I write whilst drinking so I think it’s important to re-read, re-read, re-read. I spend more time re-reading what I’ve written than I spend actually writing it. Some writers do outlines, but I don’t tend to bother, I’ll have maybe a page of character names so I don’t forget and few little bits I want to add later. Aside from that, carry a notebook in case you overhear something interesting and don’t want to forget it. And when you re-read you work, try to imagine yourself as the reader reading it for the first time round. What would they look for?

Your dream destination on Earth?
Hawaii. And I’ve already been there on my honeymoon. I felt like crying when I left. It was too beautiful.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?
I was born in Scunthorpe and I’ve pretty much lived here all my life. With my day job I travel around the country a lot, so I’ve seen most of my own country. I’ve been to the USA a few times which is great for the food, Africa has some of the most beautiful, kind and caring people I’ve come across, Cuba felt dangerous, but I’d love to go back to them all. I’m keen to visit Australia next and hopefully get to go to Antarctica before it melts. 


Your favorite time of the day?
I’m usually up before dawn for work. I love seeing the day being born. The light seems to vibrate with expectation.

Your zodiac/ sunsign?
I’m a typical Virgo. Slightly manic but I organise my chaos well.

Your favorite color and why?
I tend to wear a lot of blue. I think it suits me.
Your favorite book and why?
I’m quite fond of The Rum Diary by Hunter S Thompson. But I tend to re-read children’s books a lot to my kids. It’s The Iron Man by Ted Hughes at the moment. Fifth time through.

Your favorite celebrity and why?
Celebrities without qualification should be shot. I follow Stephen Fry on Twitter. Professor Brian Cox is interesting. I quite fancy Professor Alice Roberts.

Your favorite food?
Is beer a food?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code