Friday, May 22, 2015

#Interview #FashionBlogger @thedailyluxe Scorpion Loves Beaches



Rachel Holliday is a British-born fashion blogger and stylist based in tropical Australia. Her blog ‘The Daily Luxe’, founded in 2014 is rapidly growing worldwide. ‘The Daily Luxe’ lives by the motto that ‘you don’t need a million dollars to look a million bucks’ and showcases the hottest runway and street style trends alongside Rachel’s own looks.

She is most happy when she is engaged in a piece of fashion writing, on the front row of a fashion show, rummaging through shopping racks or exploring new and exotic places.

Access Rachel’s blog here: www.thedailyluxe.net
Instagram: @thedailyluxe
Twitter: @thedailyluxe

Welcome Rachel. :)



What brought you to the world of fashion and when was it?
My true love for fashion journalism started while I was at University, when I started questioning if I had done the right degree and began looking at Fashion journalism masters. My friend encouraged me to start a fashion blog, and for a brief period, I wrote a blog called ‘Campus Couture.’ I also wrote for my university fashion magazine.

After I moved to Australia, I began dabbling in fashion blogging again, but nothing hardcore. After working backstage at Australian Fashion Week in April 2014, I said to myself; right, I’m doing this! And ‘The Daily Luxe’ was born.

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood
     Childhood holidays! I can remember going to Ibiza like it was yesterday.

About your education?
I graduated from Lancaster Uni in 2012 with a first class BA Hons degree in Theatre and English.



What career did you plan during your education days?To be honest, after school I sort of just got thrown into University and chose what I was interested in at the time. My real love for fashion began at University though.

What languages can you speak and write?
English, just English… Oh and a tiny bit of French, you know, the kind French people would laugh at because it’s so dodgy.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life? 
Nature, my family, and fashion.

What hurts you most in this world? 
People deliberately hurting each other, animals and the environment.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?
I suffer from anxiety so I feel like this is a challenge I always have to face. But with good support and coping techniques, I live a pretty awesome life.


If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?
Coco Chanel- she revolutionized ladies fashion!

What is your favorite fashion style and why?
As trends come and go, my favorite styles and trends change with the times. At the moment, it’s the seventies bohemian trend. It fits with my laid-back, feminine style and I just adore anything lacy, crochet or patterned! I think the flare shapes are incredibly flattering too.



Did you ever think of getting into modeling? 
No way! I was never hot/tall/skinny enough and didn’t want to change myself to fit into that mould.

What keeps you motivating towards fashion and writing about it?
I think that when you have such a strong desire towards both writing and fashion, motivation comes naturally. Obviously I have days where I feel uninspired, but then I’ll get a little creative spark and the words will start flowing again

How do you plan, schedule and monitor your fashion related commitments?
I always blog twice a week- every Monday and Friday. So I will write the pieces either on or before those days. If I have ideas for posts I will jot them down on my phone or a piece of paper. I update daily on social media, but that tends to just flow with my lifestyle.

With the other publications I write for (such as Mirodoor), I’ll put three hours or so away to write a good quality piece.
As for events like Australian Fashion Week, I plan my outfits a week or so in advance (guilty as charged!) and tend to sort out my schedule and invites before I even board the plane.



What four top most things you take care of while doing a fashion project?
1.    Plan!
2.    Give a million percent.
3.    Be friendly, but professional.
4.    NETWORK!


Your dream destination on Earth?
 I would love to go to the Maldives- it literally looks like paradise. Ahhh.. the beaches!

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?
I was born in North Yorkshire in the UK, in a town called Whitby. I’ve visited a lot of places around Europe as I was growing up- France, Sweden, Cyprus, Belgium, Spain. As an adult I did a working holiday one summer in Catalina Island in California, I loved the positive, beachy energy there. I also saw the Grand Canyon which was indescribable and faced my fear of highs climbing the ‘Angels Peak’ track at Zion National Park.

I also worked at a disadvantaged school in Thailand which was really inspiring. I then went on a working holiday to Australia and never came back! Haha, I must be crazy!


Your favorite time of the day?
I think it depends on what I’m doing. If I have something really fun planned- that will be my highlight!

Your zodiac/ sun sign?
Scorpio

Your favorite color and why?
      The vibrant blue of a Ulysses butterfly because it’s tranquil, yet striking.

Your favorite book and why? 
The French Lieutenants Woman’ by John Fowles. Seriously… just read it!

Your favorite movie and why? 
The Lion King’ or ‘Aladdin’ for the happy childhood memories.



Your favorite celebrity and why? 
I don’t really have a celebrity that I stick to like glue.

Your favorite food? 
Cookies and Cream Ice cream (Naughty) and my dads homemade veggie lasagne.

Your favorite sports? 
I seriously don’t do sports haha, but I do high-intensity cardio 3 times a week, so I guess this counts?

What is the force that drives you? 
Some little voice in my mind saying ‘you can do this Rach’ and my family.

What comes to your mind when you think of India?
Bollywood J

Some quickies: Sun or Moon, Laughter or Smile, Morning or EveningCoffee or Tea, Mountain or Sea,Long Drive or Short Drive, Silence or ConversationWater or Fire, Air or Earth, Mars or Jupiter, Tulip orRose, Red or Blue, Left or RightGlance or Stare, Fame or Money (I’d rather have happiness), Boy or GirlDay or Night, Tree or Plant, Love or Passion

What three words come to your mind for each –
Technology, Limitless, connecting, growing
Life, love, breathe, cherish
God, Hopefully there’s something
Humanity Love, hate, juxtapositions
Terrorism,  Terrifying, horrific, dangerous
Racism, Discriminative, unacceptable, hateful
Childhood Abuse, Imprison those guilty
Love, Warmth, strength, happiness
Parenting, Caring, unconditional love
Old age, Reflective,

The first thing you do in the morning after waking up?
I’m trying to start each morning by doing 50 sit ups. I’ll let you know how it goes haha

Last thing to do before sleep?
Moisturise!

If one fine morning you wake up and find your sex changed to the opposite, what will be your first reaction?
     Haha- that depends on what I looked like :P No.. just kidding, I’d probably scream
     and then check if the mirror was actually there and it wasn’t just some creepy guy…

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote
My gran always used to reference the song ‘The Tide Is High’ and say ‘I’m not the kind of girl who gives up just like that.’ I always try to keep that in mind.

The last line of your autobiography would be…
To be continued…
The title of your autobiography would be…
Probably just my name. I find this too weird to think about haha.

Who is your role model in the fashion industry?


Margaret Zhang- she is literally a fashion super force! She is a photographer, stylist, blogger and guest buyer rolled into one. I hope I can be like this one day.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code