Sunday, December 07, 2014

Author Interview: D W Boorn: The Big Secret, The Whole And Honest Truth About Santa Claus

D. W. Boorn is an author, illustrator and self-described philosopher for children. Her very first book, The Big Secret: The Whole and Honest Truth About Santa Claus, has won a Mom's Choice Award, been awarded a 2014 Reader's Favorite Gold Medal (Best Parenting Book of 2014) and appeared on the cover of Publisher's Weekly! She writes and illustrates children's books that teach with humor, love and compassion. Mrs. Boorn is rarely seen without one of her beloved dogs!

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood 
I have favorite memories of my mother reading to me, going to football games with my dad, walking to elementary school because we lived so close.  We went to my grandparent’s house in the country every weekend for a grand Sunday dinner with all the aunts/uncles and cousins.  I just loved picking oranges off of the trees and collecting eggs from the chickens.  We had a dog that would steal licks from our ice-cream cones in the car when we were driving home and a ferry that would make everyone stop to cross the Mississippi river.  We would all pick blackberries and pecans and I remember a huge harvest of potatoes one year which was just heaven as a kid to get to dig them out of the dirt. 


About your education 
B.F.A. in Art History and Painting from U.N.C. Greeley in Colorado. 

What career did you plan during your education days 
I had a terrible time deciding what to do.  I was interested in so many things…I vacillated between psychology, medicine, teaching and the arts.  I LOVED academia and always thought I would go on to get a terminal degree but life took me in other directions. Ultimately I realized “I am happy. Life is good. No need to think about what could have been because things ARE very good.” I feel very fortunate and am grateful.

What languages you can speak and write? 

Unfortunately, just the one, and not always well!  Rosetta Stone is on the bucket list.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life

Relationships.  Between people, between people and their pets, between people and the physical world.  Anything that deepens our experience of living and gives it more meaning.  Life is short.  Love a lot.

What hurts you most in this world

Sarcasm, violence, cruelty, pessimism, limits .  We all deal with similar (if not the same) general challenges in life and it saddens me that so much of our world is dedicated to making it more difficult for others.  I devoutly believe that your life follows the thoughts that you allow to be in your brain.  Immerse yourself in images and thoughts of violence, cruelty, and it will manifest in your life. They become the possibilities you can see and understand.  Think about kindness, growth and giving and they, too, will manifest. 

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

Miscarriage.  I write children's books.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

Jim Henson (Creator of the Muppets).  He was my idol as I was growing up.  He was an amazingly positive soul dedicated to teaching children with humor and love. I remember the day that I heard he passed away of pneumonia. I was distraught as I dreamed of meeting him, maybe becoming a muppeteer (though I had absolutely no real path or goal to do so).  It was my childhood dream.  The muppets under his guidance were extraordinary and completely original and of great benefit to society.  The muppets are just not the same since he passed away.

What is your favorite genre and why?

I like non-fiction.  I like anything that expands my understanding of the world I live in or what came before us. 

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

I've always been creative, through both art and writing.  I began as a teen whenever I felt misunderstood and could not communicate with the people around me.  For whatever reason it was easier to express myself through art and writing.  I could be completely honest and direct on paper in a way that was too difficult in person.  As my life progressed, I realized that my voice was (perhaps not unique, as there are plenty of positive people out there) but uniquely mine.  It took me a very long time to realize that there was a place for my voice in the world and that I might be able to help people.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

The Big Secret, The Whole and Honest Truth About Santa Claus. This book is meant to be an aid to parents who will be facing the dilemma of Santa Claus with their child. 

What are your forthcoming writings?

The Perfect Child
The Princess Who Saved Herself
The Tale of King Whiffy Odiferous

What genres you write in and why?

I write for children.  I don’t think I’ve ever truly grown all the way up and I find it very easy and normal to translate “adult” for kids (and dogs)!  I guess I like to teach without being overly obvious about it.

What keeps you motivating towards writing?

The idea that I could touch a life, somehow make things better.  Create a new thought or inspire a new path that could lead to a better circumstance.

If Writing a Book is taken as a project, What are the key essentials you take care of in Project Management? 

Revise, revise, revise. Never be afraid to revise. Show it off. Listen to the feedback, evaluate and revise. When I write and illustrate I am trying to evoke a feeling in the reader.  Until I am confident the message and feeling is clear, I revise.  Eventually it is done.  No niggling shoulda woulda coulda’s.


How do you plan, schedule and monitor your writing commitments? 

I have to work around my other work commitments (which basically means I am at the mercy of doggie bladders and poopy-butts).  It’s always tough to get a block of time to follow this particular dream but I am getting better at working in shorter spurts.

What are your future plans?

I’d love to be able to work full-time on my future releases but that’s just not possible unless demand is there.  We’ll see what the world thinks.

What is generally your preference in reading – a paper book or ebook? 

Paper. And why? I prefer non-fiction and e-book formatting for non-fiction is usually not so good.

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book? 

An honest voice, an interesting layout, a thought provoking message, a way to move forward.

How much real life goes into a fiction writing?  

An author is always a prism of life experiences and his thoughts about them, whether 1st hand experiences, 2nd hand or made-up.  A great author can create a totally fictitious book that reads like reality.

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author? 

Yes, but no more so than for other creative professions: engineers, architects, software writers, business owners…even scientists must be creative to create hypothesis that could expand our understanding of what is possible.  Original thought is important for all creative professions.

Your dream destination on Earth? 

French Polynesia is particularly inviting, but heck, I’d go pretty much anywhere for an adventure.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. 

New Orleans, Louisiana. USA.  Great Britain and France.

 What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?  

Ok, anyone who knows me would think it would be the museums, the culture, the architecture, but no! My absolute favorite memory was a very, very small thing, but it has stuck with me to this day.  I had the most exquisite, humungous, perfectly sweet and juicy bunch of grapes and the quintessential crispy baguette in a long paper sleeve.  I purchased them to snack on while we walked the sidewalks in Paris but they were a destination themselves.  I will never forget the grapes that were the size of my thumbs or the perfect warm bread just out of the oven.  There was a beautiful clear blue sky, and cool temperatures…Just Heaven.

Your favorite time of the day? 

Early Morning, Coffee, Creative time, Doggie cuddle pile, deep breathing

Your zodiac/ sunsign?

libra

Your favorite color and why?

pale cerulean blue.  The color of the sky as it lightens at the horizon.  It is open and limitless.  It makes any space feel larger.  It reflects color in a beautiful way.

What is the last book you finished reading? 

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

 What is the current book you are reading?

Your favorite book and why?  Mother Knows Best, by Carol Lea Benjamin.  I am aware I can be a bit extreme, but I just adore dogs.  They are the most sincere, in-the-moment, honest, loyal, loving souls on the planet.  In my other life I run a pet-sitting business and I’ve given this book away to more clients than I can count.  Any time any of them gets a new dog, it’s my go-to recommendation.  The book teaches people how to better communicate with and create a better relationships with their 4 legged buddies.  It’s my favorite book because I know it has made countless doggie lives better by educating their owners.

Your favorite movie and why?  

The Princess Bride.  It is just so darn clever.  When I first saw it in the movie theater with my mom, the entire place lost power for a while and I remember sitting and eating popcorn and chatting with the emergency/generator lights on .  Took a while but eventually the movie started up again so I guess it was a bit like an old theater experience with an intermission.  It’s just a fond memory and now I’ve seen the movie so many times I, like lots of people, know most of the dialogue by heart.  

Your favorite celebrity and why?

Hoda Kotb.  She was a WWL anchor while I was still living in New Orleans so she has been a fixture in my life for quite a while. She has always seemed to be genuine in a profession that requires a professional mask.  She seems positive.   

Your favorite food?

Anything my mom cooked.  Just tastes better.

Your favorite sports? 

Not really into sports, as proven by the size of my bottom.  Wish I were, but I’m not.  I struggle like everyone else to stay the same size as I age.  I walk a lot of dogs every day, but not much else.  In my perfect world HAVING a gym membership would count just as much as going to the gym.

What is the force that drives you?  

Love/ trying to improve.


What comes to your mind when you think of India?

Namaste.  Beautiful art, beautiful people.

Some quickies: 
Sun or Moon, Laughter or Smile, Morning or Evening, Coffee or Tea, Mountain or Sea, Long Drive or Short Drive, Silence or Conversation, Water or Fire, Air or Earth, Mars or Jupiter, Tulip or Rose, Red or Blue, Left or Right, Glance or Stare, Fame or Money, Boy or Girl, Day or Night, Tree or Plant, Love or Passion

Sun, Laughter, Morning, Coffee, Sea, Short Drive, Conversation, Water, Earth, Jupiter, Tulip, Blue, Right, Stare, Money, Both, Day, Tree, Passion

First thing you do in the morning after waking up?

I let my dogs outside, get a cup of coffee and enjoy complete silence.  I use this time to think, create, dream.  I think best when I don't have to follow a straight line of thought but can follow tangents and run them out to an interesting place.  I like to answer "what if..."?

Last thing to do before sleep?

Reach over and touch my hubby’s hair.

If one fine morning you wake up and find your sex changed to opposite, what will be your first reaction?

I’m quite sure I would have to laugh.

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote

"No kindness is ever wasted”.

The last line of your autobiography would be…

"All is well"

The title of your autobiography would be…

No Worries.


Links & other relevant details:
ISBN-10: 0988443805
ISBN-13: 978-0988443808
ASIN: (not sure what this # refers to...)
Publisher: Pollyanna Publishing House
Twitter handle:@thebigkidsclub
Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/pages/DWBoorn/288448617923477
Goodreads author page:https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7208498.D_W_Boorn
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Big-Secret-D-Boorn/dp/0988443805/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375558085&sr=8-1&keywords=d+w+boorn
Any other links: http://www.thebigsecretbook.com
                             http://www.pollyannapublishinghouse.com

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code