Sunday, September 07, 2014

Author Interview: Jane Yates: Dyslexic: Mother: Artist: Writer: Storyteller: Paradox Child Series

She is a dyslexic, a mother, an artist, a writer and a storyteller. She acquired her studies from the Open University in physics and other sciences, the environment and technology. Gradually she go a full degree in Environment and Archaeology from Lampeter University.

She now is in Oxford and works at the Pitt Rivers Museum, a museum of anthropology and world archaeology. Her Paradox Child series of YA books features the museum and its objects. Her other books… are steampunk, magic, time travel and YA.

Welcome Jane

Your real name and pen name?

Jane yates and J yates

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood.
I wrote a serious play when I was a small child. My mother had coffee mornings and the neighbours came to watch my play. They were all old ladies and they laughed so much they cried and said it was the funniest play they had ever seen. I remember being very upset at the time. But then it’s a gift to make people happy.

About your education?

I was written off at school, but studied later in life and got there in the end.

What career did you plan during your education days?

To be an archaeologist

What languages you can speak and write?

Only English, and being dyslexic I struggle with that!

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?

Nature

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

I cycled the whole of the UK with my son in two weeks camping on the way. I had to train every day for 6 months

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

The queen, just for a laugh.

What is your favorite genre and why?

I love poems.

When did you start writing?

When I was 50 years old, two years ago now.

What is the purpose of your writing?

I can’t stop now.

Which of your work has been published so far?

Paradox child series, which is steam punk, magic, sci fi, time travel, adventure and mild romance.

What genres you write in and why?

Young adult, I don’t think I have ever grown up!

What keeps you motivating towards writing?

The nice comments I get from people who read my stories. It means the world to me and keeps me writing.

How do you plan, schedule and monitor your writing commitments?

Writing is more important than sleep, but less important than my family

What are your future plans?

I am near finished my forth book, sci fi. Plan to publish it and write new one in November

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

Use your own ideas, suspense, explain plot as go along, balance between good and evil

How much real life goes into a fiction writing?

Characters in my books are all named after real people but the stories are totally made up.

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author?

Yes but this is not the most important thing. High level of commitment is more important.

Your dream destination on Earth?

Would love to go to India to see the old temples.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

Born England, love Scotland. Have not travelled much.

Your favorite time of the day?

Early morning

Your zodiac/ sunsign?

Gemini

Your favorite color and why?

Green

What is the last book you finished reading?

Rooted by Amy Good. FAB

What is the current book you are reading?

Between books

Your favorite book and why?

Last book I have read always. I paint and favourite painting is the last painting I did always.

Your favorite movie and why?

Rear window, scary, glamorous

Your favorite celebrity and why?

Uri Geller, visionary

Your favorite food?

Fish and chips

Your favorite sports?

Running, cycling, canoeing

What is the force that drives you?

Recognition

What comes to your mind when you think of India?

Tea, elephants, colour, history, adventure

Some quickies: Sun or Moon, Laughter or Smile, Morning or Evening, Coffee or Tea, Mountain or Sea, Long Drive or Short Drive, Silence or Conversation, Water or Fire, Air or Earth, Mars or Jupiter, Tulip or Rose, Red or Blue, Left or Right, Glance or Stare

Moon, Laughter, Morning, Tea, Sea, Short Drive, both Silence and Conversation, Water, Earth, Jupiter, Rose, Blue, both Left and Right, Glance

What three words come to your mind for each –
Technology = love, new friends, new beginnings
Life = air, outside, connection
 God = history, tradition, ritual
 Humanity = tolerance, sharing, knollage
 Terrorism = fear
 Racism = stupidity
  Parenting = hard work, joy, proudness

First thing you do in the morning after waking up?

Say how grateful I am for the peace in my flat.

Last thing to do before sleep?

I always think, I am never going to full asleep!

If one fine morning you wake up and find your sex changed to opposite, what will be your first reaction?

Laugh

State your signature line/ tagline

Best quote from my first book, Rose is explaining to Lilly about time travel. She says, I don’t think of them as dead, just alive in another time.

The last line of your autobiography would be…

the end

The title of your autobiography would be…

always early for everything


Links & other relevant details:
Publisher: indie
Twitter handle: @jyparadoxchild
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/jane.yates.3152
Goodreads author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7162069.J_Yates
ASIN: and Amazon links: Paradox child B00D8J41DM

Any other links: my group https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/114036-paradox-child-goodreads-author-j-yates

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code