Monday, July 14, 2014

Author Interview: Nancy Madore: Enchanted Series by Harlequin: Legacy of the Watchers Series

Nancy Madore achieved enormous critical acclaim with her erotic "Enchanted" series by Harlequin, which includes Enchanted, Enchanted Again and Enchanted Dreams.

Madore is currently writing a historical / speculative fiction / mystery series entitled "Legacy of the Watchers," which was inspired by her life-long interest in ancient history and mythology. So far, there are three installments in the series: The Hidden Ones, Power of Gods and Masquerade. The fourth book in the series, entitled The Fourth Trumpet, will be released in February of 2015.

You can read more about Nancy Madore and her books by visiting her website at www.nmadore.com.

Your real name and pen name?

Nancy Madore is my maiden name. Though I haven’t officially changed it back since my divorce, just about everybody knows me as ‘Nancy Madore.’

About your education:

My formal education is in writing and journalism, but I have independently studied theology, mythology and ancient history throughout my life, beginning with my very religious childhood, where I was required to read the Bible on a daily basis. Ever since those early Bible readings, I have been fascinated with this period in history when angels and demons are said to have walked the earth. In studying other cultural beliefs coming out of that same era (Greek mythology in the west and Zoroastrianism in the east), I have noticed similarities in the depictions of these godlike (and, conversely, demonic) creatures the people are attempting to describe. I can’t help wondering what happened back then to inspire these parallel myths. Years of speculation have led me to this series.

What career did you plan during your education days?

I always wanted to be a writer.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?

I tend to me more inspired by what’s not there than by what is. Whenever I hear a story (particularly if it’s historical, although it could also be a current event as well) I’m always fascinated by the many important details that are left out. These are always the details I am most curious about.

What hurts you most in this world?

That my existence in it must eventually come to an end.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personalities, who would it be and why?

I would definitely want to be someone from the ancient past…perhaps the notorious Lilith of Mesopotamia, or one of Zeus’ many lovers in ancient Greece. More than anything else, I would want to see one of these ‘divine’ visitors from the ancient past, whether they be angels, or gods or demons. One day would never be enough!

What is your favorite genre and why?

I enjoy reading all genres, but I think if I had to pick a favorite I would choose classic literature, because it makes you think. I love philosophy. The classics don’t generally feature action for the sake of action. They’re more about the motivation behind the action. Even horror writers, such as Edgar Allen Poe (one of my many favorites), had a knack for getting inside his characters’ heads. I enjoy a story so much more when this element is included.

What is the purpose of your writing?

To, first and foremost, entertain—but also to make the reader think.

Which of your works has been published so far?

I currently have eight books out in print. I began my career writing romance/erotica for Harlequin, where I had my bestselling Enchanted series, which includes Enchanted, Enchanted Again and Enchanted Dreams. At this point I became slightly disenchanted with romance and erotica (or at least the kind you write). Of course, changing genres while you’re on a roll is never a good career move, but I had this burning desire to write about the ‘angels’ and ‘demons’ that I had read so much about over the years. They had left their mark on me—just as they have on the rest of the world. Our religions, our wars—even our greatest fears—all had their start in the ancient world. So I began the Legacy of the Watchers series, which consists of three books so far: The Hidden Ones, Power of Gods and Masquerade.

What are your future plans?

I currently have only one plan for my future: to finish my Legacy of the Watchers series.

What four top most things do you take care of while writing a book?

It’s hard to pull me away from my writing once I begin a new project, but I have made it a practice to always stop for family obligations. In addition to that, I try to remember to eat, I tend to my garden when I can’t sit at the computer any longer and, every now and then, I even make it to the gym.  

How much real life goes into fiction writing?

For me, there’s a lot of real life in writing. Strange as it may seem coming from someone writing ‘speculative’ fiction, I have to believe it to get into it.

Your dream destination on Earth?

I would love to visit the places I am writing about… Iraq, Iran, Israel, Egypt, Greece. A trip all around the Mediterranean Sea would be a dream come true for me.

Your favorite time of the day?

I’m into gardening in my spare time, so I love mornings and late afternoons. In the mornings everything is so fresh and brilliant. Then around 5:00 pm, the lighting completely changes so that the flowers almost have an iridescent quality about them. Every day around these times you can find me ‘perusing’ my gardens.

Your favorite color and why?

I love pink, though I’m not sure why. It’s kind of a girly color and I’ve always been a bit of a Tomboy, so it doesn’t make much sense. But it’s the color I always reach for first.

What is the last book you finished reading? What is the current book you are reading?

I’ve been on a Thomas Costain kick lately. He’s an oldie but a goodie (from the forties), a historian whose focus was European royalty. I just finished The Conquerors (a wonderful historical account of various wars involving England) and I am currently reading The Moneyman, which recounts the incredible story of Jacques Coeur, the moneyman for Charles the Seventh. Both of these are fascinating books from an excellent author.

Your favorite book and why?

I don’t have favorite books, movies, celebrities or foods. My tastes change according to my mood. At some point in time, I have probably ‘loved’ just about everything. I guess that makes me fickle, but I prefer to think of it as versatile.

What three words come to your mind for each:

Technology:  sleek, smart, correct
Life:  glorious, tempestuous, short
God:  missing in action
Humanity:  kind, thoughtful, cruel
Terrorism:  control, corruption, hate
Racism:  control, corruption, hate
Childhood Abuse: sad, regrettable, gripping
Love: generous, kind, beautiful
Parenting: generous, selfless, grueling
Old age: tragic, painful, inevitable

Links:

Website:   www.nmadore.com



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code