Monday, July 14, 2014

Author Interview: Colin Miles: Naughty Nicky and the Skullduggery Crew: The Pudwinks Chronicles

He was born in Berkshire, England and moved around the country with his father’s work until settling in Bristol to finish his education. From there he moved around the west country until finally settling in the beautiful Duchy of Cornwall where he now have four beautiful children of his own, two step-children and a beautiful granddaughter, Millie. He now co-owns two companies with his partner in life and business, Gail.  Pudwinks Ltd, a children's lifestyle brand and Pixiehouse Publishing Ltd who publish for Pudwinks. Along with this he also works in retail to support his family whilst the fledgling businesses grow.

Welcome Colin!

Your real name and pen name?

Colin Miles but known as Mister M although this is not known as my pen name.

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

Family holidays in North Devon, especially around Ilfracombe. Where my love for the coast and ruggedness of the coastline originated.


About your education

I didn't come away from high school with the best of grades but English language was my favourite subject. More than likely because there was a lot of 'story writing' which I enjoyed. I didn't have the concentration span for English Literature, my concentration was through the window, waiting to get out and do what boys did at that age - explore and find adventure.

What career did you plan during your education days?

When I left school there was high unemployment in the country.  We weren't encouraged to stay on and go to college or university like students today. I was told in my careers class that if you were offered a job, take it.  This is what I did, working for one of the best retail establishments in the country, Waitrose - part of the John Lewis Partnership. So I have stayed in retail but now with my love for writing I would one day like to spend more time with pen in hand.
   
What languages you can speak and write?

I know a few words from a few different languages but encourage my children to. Especially with the world shrinking and a more diverse spectrum of cultures moving to this country.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?

My partner Gail. It was her drive that pushed me to write. With the Pudwinks characters that she had created before we met she gave me a platform to work from. It was there that I found my writing style.

What hurts you most in this world?

Bullying and cruelty - especially to children. I believe if you have children you feel it more.


What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

Losing my father when I was young. You never overcome it, just learn to deal with it in your own way.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

C.S.Lewis - I would love to have his imagination and writing finesse. Although his life was a very hard one with many many challenges which I think I would find extremely hard to accept.

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?
I started writing two years ago to help launch the Pudwinks characters. Already I have seen the impact from reading to children and seeing the magic in their eyes.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

Naughty Nicky and the Skullduggery Crew (The Pudwinks Chronicles).

It's time to meet the Pudwinks, that live aboard the 'Oggy'. A pirate ship with a Kernow twist and a lovable ginger moggy. The first in The Pudwinks Chronicles series of children's picture books. Set in fictional Penpudland you'll meet Naughty Nicky, a lovable rogue with a love for milk and cookies. Alone he is not though as you'll also meet his crew along the way. With further books introducing more Pudwinks characters, and stories with a Cornish twist, this is a must to spark your child's imagination. Pudwinks . . . . from the land where pixies play.

What are your forthcoming writings?

The Castle on the Hill (The Pudwinks Chronicles)
Fred in the Shed
The Hoobaddyhoo


What are your future plans?

I am writing a series of books in The Pudwinks Chronicles and I would also like to publish a couple of indie children's books

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

The main thing for me is to try and write and then read back through the eyes of a child. 

How much real life goes into a fiction writing?

I think there's always an element of real life in fiction writing. It's then molded into what your imagination allows.

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author?

Yes and no. Yes imagination is obviously needed but life's experiences also contribute.

Your dream destination on Earth?

Tricky - It was always New York but having been I would have to say Alaska - nature at its harshest but with a certain beauty.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

Sailing around the Greek islands was a beautiful escapism. Stopping off at inlets and hidden beaches. 
New York - a dream destination which lived up to my expectations and where you will find the friendliest of people.
Miami - stunning beaches and a whole different culture and way of life to New York.


Your favorite time of the day?

Morning - a new day with new hopes and dreams

Your zodiac/ sunsign?

Sagittarius 

Your favorite color and why?

Black (although it's a shade) 

What is the last book you finished reading? What is the current book you are reading?

Dan Brown - The DaVinci Code
Reading now - C.S.Lewis a biography A.N.Wilson

Your favorite book and why?

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - no explanation needed

Your favorite movie and why?

The Shawshank Redemption

Your favorite celebrity and why?

Helena Bonham Carter - minor crush

Your favorite food?

Cheese

Some quickies: 
Sun or Moon - moon
Laughter or Smile - smile, it warms the heart
Morning or Evening - morning
Coffee or Tea - tea and lots of it
Mountain or Sea -sea
Long Drive or Short Drive - short
Silence or Conversation - both
Water or Fire - water
Air or Earth - earth
Mars or Jupiter - Mars
Tulip or Rose - English Rose
Red or Blue - Blue
Left or Right - Right
Glance or Stare - Glance, staring is rude unless the stare is in admiration 


State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote
Tag Line - from the land where pixies play
Quote - "We read to know we are not alone" - C.S.Lewis in Shadowlands

The last line of your autobiography would be…

And that's why my children are my life.

Links:
Twitter handle: @MisterMAuthor





No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code