Saturday, May 10, 2014

Author Interview: Deepak Kripal: The Devil’s Gate: An Impossible Journey

Deepak Kripal, 29 years, was born in the God country, Uttarakhand. He is a doctor by profession and a writer by passion. He completed his MBBS and internship from Kanpur in 2009 and currently lives in New Delhi. He believes in dreams and tries to live one day at a time. A known name in the blogosphere, he loves to blog and to interact with people with varied interests.

Your real name and pen name?

Deepak Kripal

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood 

Playing cricket in the maidans all day in the heat of May. There were few things to worry about during those days, except that the next ball could hit you on the leg which was not padded (even one pad used to be a luxury back then!).

About your education

I am a Kendriya Vidyalaya product, hailing from a small town called Banbasa, in Uttarakhand. I did my MBBS from GSVM Medical College, Kanpur.


What career did you plan during your education days?

I developed a passion to become a doctor very late during my school days. Fortunately enough, I became one.


What languages you can speak and write?

English and Hindi, of course! But I love Urdu and Punjabi as well, and I would love to learn them.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?

To be honest, there is no single source of inspiration that I look for. I take inspiration from almost anything and everything. It just has to capture my imagination, which is very unpredictable, and sometimes even weird I’ll have to admit.

What hurts you most in this world?

Poverty!


What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

I have faced many challenges in life, like all of us do. Life has been kind enough for me, and it has been a learning and pretty satisfying ride. I don’t think I’ll categorize any particular challenge as the ‘biggest’. I take pride in all the things I overcame, big or small.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

There are many people I seriously admire. Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, Sachin Tendulkar, Bill Gates, and the list goes on... But I wonder if I would want to be in their shoes for one day! It might turn out to be most unrelenting and outrageous hangover that I might never get over with!

What is your favorite genre and why?

I have said it before, and I will again say that I don’t believe in genres. I will happily create a new genre and will name it as ‘interesting’. What I mean to say is anything that is interesting, emotionally and intellectually satisfying, is worth reading. My grandfather’s stories didn’t belong to any genre, but they, sure as hell, were interesting!

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

I wrote my first poem back in school days when our English teacher gave us homework to write a 12 line poem. I also wrote greeting cards for my friends (I wonder if they count!). Those were my first writing experiences! 

Writing always, is a means to satisfy my inner self, and to give expression to my being. I have never done anything that is more satisfying than writing; it is like music to my soul.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

“The Devil’s Gate: An Impossible Journey” is my debut novel which was recently released by Leadstart Publishing. And I am hugely grateful to them for having faith in my ability, and taking this unusual story forward for publishing.

Synopsis: SIDELINED BY  MAN, ANIMALS TURNED TO DEMONS.

Plundered by humans of their habitats, animals take a drastic step when they decide to send a team to an invisible island. The island becomes visible only for a short time on the night of the full moon. Legend has it that the island is inhabited by the demons. Animals wanted to negotiate a deal with the demons, convincing them to allow the animals to inhabit the island. The majority of the animal community believe that tinkering with the other world could bring their wrath to the animals. The team is sent to the island nevertheless.


But can a deal with the dead be materialized? Are there really demons on the island? Is there any conspiracy involved? Will animals be able to negotiate, or will survival remain their only question in the deadly island?

Trailer of ‘The Devil’s Gate: An Impossible Journey’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGJkjm68UEw

What are your forthcoming writings? 

I am still working on my next project, so can’t really say anything at this stage.

What are your future plans?

I wish to come up with some ‘out of the box’ interesting, innovative and imaginative stories that can take the reader to places he has never been to. I have read somewhere that creativity is nothing but the ability to surprise, and I wish to do just that, to surprise you!

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

a. The plot should excite me for long enough to convince me to sit down and write.
b. The story should touch the reader emotionally and intellectually, no matter what the genre is.
c. The story should be at the forefront, not writing (it should do its work silently).
d. It should be entertaining.


How much real life goes into a fiction writing?

Everything! Fiction writing is like bio-mimicry where we mimic ways of nature to form new models and technologies. Likewise, we form new ideas in fiction, but the inspiration is always from the world we have seen, and which is way more rich, magical and mysterious than any fantasy fiction we can ever write.

Is high level of imagination important to have for an Author?

Absolutely! No two ways about that.

Your dream destination on Earth?

Kashmir, New Zealand, and Antarctic.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

I come from the state of Uttarakhand, and Nainital (along with Munnar in Kerala) remains one of my favorite hill stations. I am yet to visit foreign a country. But definitely, I have made some ticks in the world map, and hopefully, I’ll visit some of them in future.

Your favorite time of the day?

I love nights!

Your zodiac/ sun sign?

Gemini

Your favorite color and why?

Black and White; I think they are regal.

Your favorite book and why?

I loved Doctors by Eric Segal, and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I always find it difficult to answer why I loved something, and I don’t even try to find it out. You can’t really understand love, can you?

Your favorite celebrity and why?

Sachin Tendulkar, for his incredibly amazing humility.

Your favorite food?

I am not very choosy about food. But having said that, I just love chicken!

Some quickies:
Sun or Moon Moon,
Laughter or Smile
Smile,
Morning or Evening
Morning,

Coffee or Tea,
Tea
Mountain or Sea, 
Sea
 Long Drive or Short Drive, 
Long Drive
Silence or
Conversation, Conversation
Water or Fire, 
Water
Air or Earth, 
Earth
Mars or Jupiter, 
Mars
Tulip or
Rose, Rose
Red or Blue, 
Blue
Left or Right, 
Right
Glance or Stare,
 Glance


What three words come to your mind for each –
Technology imagination, innovation, fascination
Life
love friendship mother
God, 
love faith goodness

Humanity,
love empathy tenderness
Terrorism, 
hate cowardice ignorance
Racism, 
ignorance selfishness backwardness
Childhood Abuse, 
pain hell death
Love, 
life God bliss
Parenting, 
enthralling connecting transforming
Old age
experience wisdom child


State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote

I am still working that out!

The last line of your autobiography would be…

and then, I smiled.....!

LINKS:


Twitter handle:
https://twitter.com/deepakkripal

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/deepak.kripal

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.in/s/280-6938964-2960732?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Deepak%20Kripal&search-alias=stripbooks

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code