Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Author Interview: Sharon French: She Lost 130 Pounds By Eating Delicious Food And Exercising Intensely

Sharon french New Abilities
She lost 130 pounds by eating delicious food and exercising intensely. She writes about the new life she got when she turned from obese to thin in her early fifties. What is it like when no one recognizes you? What is it like when you don’t recognize yourself? What is it like to have opportunities and abilities you never dreamed of even as a child due to your poor health and obesity? Her books and websites chronicle these changes and are a resource for others who think they will never lose weight.

Welcome Sharon!

Your real name and pen name?

I'm Sharon French and publish my books as Sharon French MBA. Sometimes I use the handle of Sharon Fitinfun

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

I was a reader and came from a family that moved a lot. My dad always joined the library where ever we ended up and I fondly remember searching for – and finding – my favorite books in the new libraries. I'm also a swimmer and loved being in water of all types – pools, lakes, rivers and the ocean. Come to think of it, reading and swimming are still two of my favorite pastimes today.

About your education

MBA, Financial Planning, California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks, CA, 2008

BBA, Accounting, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL, 1989
AA, Business, Palm Beach Community College, Lake Worth, FL 1987

What career did you plan during your education days?

I was planning to be an accountant when I got my first two degrees by working my way through school as a bookkeeper. One of my proudest accomplishments was the day I finished my four year degree and could call myself an accountant. I still call myself an accountant first as I feel that is the "real" me. I got my MBA to fulfill my dream of having a Graduate Degree and to learn the skills for that level of education. Returning to school 20 years after the first go round was challenging and very worth-while.
 
Sharon french New Abilities
What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?

My passion is to help others overcome morbid obesity as I did in mid-life. I spent most of my life overweight, obese and miserable; thinking there was nothing I could do to help myself. Instead, once I learned the skills of healthy eating and exercise and started to believe in myself, the weight came off easily. After maintaining and even improving my health in the last three years, I want to reach others in the same old hopeless place. I know they can do this! I did and I am driven to reach out and help them every day.

What hurts you most in this world?

I am hurt by seeing the 68% of Americans who are obese and overweight and don't believe they can help themselves. I feel that pain like it is my own and I try in every way I can to reach them. This is why I use my books, websites, photos and videos to tell my story, my process and my message of hope. I want to reach everyone I can whether they are visual learners or readers.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced?

My personal health issues have been the hardest to overcome. I have a genetic problem with my heart; a heart pacemaker, and I have nearly died from this condition several times. I have had to learn to breath and walk again a few times after various failures of my body. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis which is very painful, tiring and debilitating.
 
Sharon french New Abilities
How did you overcome it?

Before I lost my weight, I used to grit my teeth and just keep going – no matter how slow and no matter how difficult my health problems were. My health problems were just two of my many excuses for not losing weight. And believe me; just like everyone else I had quite a number of excuses. Finally, I realized that I could either live and die with these excuses or I could bust through them. This was the realization that finally made me healthy and led to all of my health writing and work.

Today I do not let my health or any other part of my life act as an excuse for obesity, poor eating skills or a sedentary lifestyle. If I am not able to walk, I can ride a bike or swim. If I am dizzy and tired, I can stretch in bed. If I don't feel up to cooking a healthy meal, I can eat something I prepared earlier and froze ahead of time. This new empowerment is the greatest gift I have and is the one I wish to pass on to others.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

Camille Pissarro is my artistic hero. As the "Father of the Impressionists" he worked through many doubts and fears to produce timeless work that moves me and has been important to me throughout my life. His words written over one hundred years ago inspire me today when I am afraid to go on or doubt my talent. I make movies and write blog posts about his work and influence on me and have several reference works I refer to frequently. The only trouble I would have is picking which day to enter as he had so many unique and diverse experiences throughout his long life. Perhaps I would like to be there for one day when he quietly worked alone – shaping his vision.


What is your favorite genre and why?

I like personal memoirs – especially those which involve travel to new lands. I like to be captured by the authors' experience of facing the unknown and learning how they deal with unexpected circumstances.

When did you start writing?

I've been writing since I was five years old under the dining room table. It is a habit, addiction and passion for me.

What is the purpose of your writing?

I normally write "How To" work on any topic I feel I have lived though enough to know when I find a valuable tip. If I think I can help others with my experience, I write about it. I also write memoir type work describing people I've met and places I have been. Finally, I am just now starting to write auto-biographical short fiction. This is a delightful mid-life surprise and I am eager to see where it takes me.


Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

My first three eBooks are published on Amazon here:

Are you concerned about toxins in your system and looking for an effective and inexpensive home remedy to feel better? Well, look no further.

Is your body your biggest regret? Are you afraid you will die a miserable obese death? Bust through your excuses and take charge of your life. You can do it if I did.

Do you need a boost? Anyone with sore tired feet who wants to feel better will benefit from the simple, relaxing and inexpensive strategies found here.

And my free resources on the internet are here:
Fitinfun.com Site Writing
Sharon Fitinfun Foto Behance Photo Essays
Sharon Fitinfun You Tube Videos
 
Sharon French Daily Exercise
What are your forthcoming writings?

I'm working on these eBooks now and all titles are tentative. They are all partially written or in the proof-reading stage. They compete with each other to see which one gets published first!

30 Days to Dry Skin Brushing Get Ready to Detox!
Do you want to start Dry Skin Brushing but don't know where to begin? This eBook will guide you through a preparation of your body, your emotions, your environment and your friends and family so that your Dry Skin Brushing detox will go smoothly and you can develop this wonderful practice in the easiest manner possible. Don't start Dry Skin Brushing without preparation, but do start!

How to Lose 130 Pounds
You've read Your Weight Loss Journey Overcome Obesity Excuses and you are confident and ready to believe in yourself and lose weight. But where should you start? These are the steps Sharon French used to lose weight several years ago and easily keep it off today. Take a walk through a successful weight loss plan that will help you be the thin and healthy success you dream of.

Protect Yourself While Swimming
Are you afraid to get in the pool and swim? Learn how to protect yourself from the hazards so you can enjoy your passion without fear. Don't be let physical and emotional fears stop you from this fun and rewarding sport. You can swim at any size and in any physical condition.

Family, Fear and Faith
What is family? Is it by birth or by circumstance? These fictionalized short stories investigate the connections we make and how we make use of them when they come our way.


What are your future plans?

I will continue to write books, post to my sites and make videos all in the effort to reach others and give them inspiration, hope and concrete advice about their health. If I was able lose half my size and keep the weight off, I believe anyone can do it.

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

I take care of my health and other personal priorities even though that is hard to do when I tend to get immersed in my books. I proofread thoroughly in hopes of producing squeaky clean copy. I make sure my words are not too harsh and add light-hearted moments even though my subjects are serious. And finally, I seek to stay on track and keep a tight focus within my books so that they do not deviate from their primary purpose.

How much real life goes into a fiction writing?

I am new to fiction writing and so far it is all based on my reality.

Is a high level of imagination important to have for an Author?

I absolutely believe in the need for a strong imagination. My "How to" and inspirational writing relies on an imaginative presentation to engage my audience. My "Impressionist" inspiration keeps it real within that imaginative shell.

Your dream destination on Earth?

I dream of all places I have never been. I am inspired when I travel anywhere new.

Your favorite book and why?

I have a number of "favorites." I named my son after Anne Tyler's Searching for Caleb. I re-read Bruce Chatwin's In Patagonia every couple of years to remind myself that anything is possible. The Impressionists: A Retrospective is my favorite coffee table book for immersing myself in the work of The Impressionists.

Your favorite food?

My relationship with food has undergone a big change in the last years. I went from being a person who feared food and binged to a person who loves food and eats satisfying amounts of delicious and nutritious food today. Since I cook for myself the majority of the time now, my favorite food is usually the last delicious thing I ate of the next delicious thing I'm looking forward to.

Your favorite time of the day?

I'm grateful for every minute of every day and enjoy them all. After my many years of being near death with obesity and illness, my new-found zest for life is not dependent on the time of day.

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote

Here are three of them:

Be sure to fit-in-fun no matter what you are doing.
The fat lady in accounting blooms
If I can lose "half my size" and become healthy, anyone can

The last line of your autobiography would be…

And then I kept on trying.

Links:
Twitter @FitinfunSharon https://twitter.com/FitinfunSharon

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code