Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Author Interview: Joseph McGinnis: I Will Change The World By My Writings

Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers
                                           
Relevant web links:


This Shadow Follows Me - Author Presentation - Pt 1

 


This Shadow Follows Me - Author Presentation - Pt 2 - Chapter 1

 

This Shadow Follows Me - Author Presentation - Pt 3 - Chapter 2

 


He lives near San Francisco where he focuses on a career in fiction writing. The Weathering is his second novel and his first trilogy. He has an extensive background in creative writing and social science. The Weathering is horror and science fiction, his two favorite genres. His first novel, This Shadow Follows Me, hit the shelves in 2011 where it was followed with immense controversy. He writes to cause change and poignancy for readers. He wants the reader to experience different realms of their own thoughts. He plans to change the world by his writings as he knows we all change the world with each step we make.

A very warm welcome to Joseph McGinnis!

Your real name and pen name? 

Joseph McGinnis

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood:

The best memories I know are traveling with my sister from California to Mississippi by car on a five day trip.  The adventure was extraordinary as I voyaged for the first time without my parents and learned my first experience of independence.  My second favorite memory was then my parents woke the family up early one morning and took us on an unplanned trip to the west coast beach.  We stayed the night on the beach and though it was painfully cold, we experienced life.

About your education:

I have a private school education.  I went to St. Gertrude’s School and St. Mary’s High School for my early education.  I got my bachelors in Business Administration with an infuses in Marketing Management at California State University Sacramento in 2003

What career did you plan during your education days?

I studied many different skills before I went into marketing.  I majored in Drama, Psychology, Sociology, Creative Writing, Management Information Systems, before I completed Marketing, Business Administration.  

What languages you can speak and write?

English and Italian

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?

My largest source of inspiration was my mentor, John Cardoza.  While I started my first novel he worked with me on learning the inspiration and ability of speaking what was in my heart and helped define the stories I wanted so badly to tell.

What hurts you most in this world?

The thing that hurts me the most in this world is mankind’s ability to hurt people because they are different. 

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

The largest challenge I faced in life was homophobia.  There was a point I was self-destructive, because I was ashamed and taught to hate my homosexuality. The battles go beyond that of words.  I overcame this by finding friends like me and learning through experiences how to survive.  I overcame self-destruction by learning strength is from within, and that I needed to thicken my skin to survive in a world that is cruel.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

I would live a day in the life of Martin Luther King, Jr., I believe he was a man that stood for what he believed and knew it.  He was man that fought for his beliefs no matter what.  I look at him as an educated and more powerful person in history than any other person in existence. 

What is your favorite genre and why?

Horror:  The horror genre scares me and affects me.  It is cold, yet real and faces the deepest thing humanity is potentially capable of. 

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

I started writing at around ten years old.  I started writing because I knew my writing would affect people all over the world.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

This Shadow Follows Me & The Weathering, Dawn of the Apocalypse

This Shadow Follows Me:
Composed from true life events and personal manuscripts, This Shadow Follows Me, is a riveting fiction novel of Alec Andrews and the friends and family that faltered around him.

The story begins with the death bed of Andrew's ex-boyfriend Troy who was dying of AIDS complications. Alec tries to tell his life story in hopes that he can make up for all that he could not tell Troy when he was alive. Alec's life story lurks with the self-destruction of a family that drove him to crucify himself, in hopes they would be correct with their religious beliefs. From a homophobic family to a homophobic upbringing, Alec fights to find himself free from the illusions that capture him.

Alec is ultimately haunted by a dream where he took his own life. In the dream he killed himself, only to be told he would have to live his life over again without making the same mistakes, but not able to remember the previous mistakes to stop them from coming true. Will Alec and the ones around him find their way to claw out of the pain of the lives they create? Find out in this fictional and painfully honest memory of This Shadow Follows Me.

The Weathering, Dawn of the Apocalypse:
The Weathering is an apocalyptic novel about destruction, evil, and survival. If everyone on earth started killing each other there would only be the ones fighting to survive and those that fought for the kill. The Weathering is a story where real life comes back to devour humanity for their own evils.

A group of friends from the wealthiest families call themselves The Weathering. They have got what they want their entire lives. The Weathering has sought adventures to take their minds off the boredom of life. When the Weathering fall bored they decide to take their excitement to extreme. They decide to kill and eat someone and see if they can get away with it.

Years pass and Chrystal, one of The Weathering followers, has decided to turn her life around. Crystal moves to a new town with new friends, new careers, and a new life. Crystal promised to keep the murder a secret or face destruction from the Weathering. Crystal writes about the murder on her blog and how easy it would be to kill someone if everyone was doing it at the same time.

All of a sudden her blog and ideas start go viral and take life as people start to commit murders, terrorist attacks, and global destruction the way she wrote in her blog. People can either do the evil they want to get away with or defend their lives from the evil of the world.

Crystal is caught in the middle of a world in complete anarchy as The Weathering hunts her down to punish her for her decision to leave them and tell their secretes. Will The Weathering find her, kill her, and will she make it out of the complete destruction of all humanity?

What are your forthcoming writings?

I am writing a second novel from my first book This Shadow Follows Me.  I have also finished a part two of The Weathering, which will be published.  I am working on another novel that is more Science Fiction about cloning. 

What are your future plans?

My future plans are to enjoy life as it is short.  I plan to focus on my career in marketing and also write a novel in every genre before I die.  

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

The four things I take care of while writing a book are: The emotion involved in the story, affecting the reader regardless of judgment, enjoying the story, and falling in love with the characters. 

Your dream destination on Earth?

My dream destination on Earth is New York.  I have someone I love there.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

I was born in Stockton, California.  I have visited many countries, Switzerland, Italy, Mexico, Canada, USA, France, Spain, and England

Your favorite time of the day?

Morning is my favorite time of the day.  That is usually when I get into work and see my friends.

Your zodiac/ sunsign?

Libra

Your favorite color and why?

Red is my favorite color, because it speaks of passion and love.

Your favorite book and why?

This is a difficult one.  I have so many.  I would have to say the one that stands out to me the most is Life of Pi.  I chose Life of Pi because it speaks to me of our own ability to hide reality with our own imagination.  

Your favorite celebrity and why?
I would have to say Jon Stewart.  He is an amazing man that is true to his values.  He is amazing at delivering things people should hear with humor.  That is one of the most difficult things to accomplish. 

Your favorite food?

Italian

Some quickies: Sun or Moon -  Laughter or Smile, Morning or Evening, Coffee or Tea, Mountain or Sea, Long Drive or Short Drive, Silence or Conversation, Water or Fire, Air or Earth, Mars or Jupiter, Moon or Sun, Tulip or Rose, Red or Blue, Left or Right, Glance or Stare
Sun
Laughter
Morning
Coffee
Sea
Long Drive
Conversation
Water
Earth
Jupiter
Sun
Rose
Red
Left
Stare

What three words come to your mind for each –

Technology – Infinity, Health, and Fun

Life – Painful, worthwhile, and adventure

God – questionable, love, and family

Humanity – destructive, childish, and forgetful

Terrorism – murders, 9/11, and regret

Racism – hateful, history, and genocide

Childhood Abuse – remembering, painful, and forgiveness

Love – unconditional, forever, and kissing

Parenting – skills, learning, and trials

Old age – remembering, lucky, and love

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote:

My Signature line would be:
“If you haven’t the strength to impose your own terms upon life, then you must accept the terms it offers you.”
T.S. Eliot

My favorite quote from This Shadow Follows Me: “If I told the truth, would you even believe me?” He said so softly, “If I told you the truth, would you stay or leave? Would you forgive me for my mistakes? Don’t ask a question if you can’t handle the answer.”

The last line of your autobiography would be…


I had an adventurous life, but I learned, love, lived, and let go of pain, and that is what resonates.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code