Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Author Interview: Arti Honrao: Resemblance – The Journey of a Doppelganger

Arti Honrao is author of books titled MyLife-story (Fiction) and Is This Love & Autumn - The Last Leaf and Novel - Resemblance - The Journey of a Doppelganger and writes poems and short stories based mainly on Relationships. She writes at Straight From The Heart.

Most of her writings depict human feelings and emotions, which she tries to bring out onto the page and into the minds of the reader. She believes that essence of writing lies in not only entertaining the reader, but speaking to them through words. Her style of writing makes it easier for the readers to visualize the story unfolding around them. She is of the opinion that being good at writing a story is not about the story being unpredictable, it is about the way you narrate the predictable story and still keep the reader interested.

Hello Arti! Your real name and pen name?

Real Name: Arti Honrao. During the early days I used to write on a poetry site as “Akansha” however, now, I prefer to use my real name for all my writings.

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood

I would like to share one memory in particular about which I have also written on my blog. I remember going on a trip to Matheran with my parents. One late afternoon, I had a severe headache and decided to rest in the hotel room but my dad dragged me out for a walk. I was reluctant and too tired to go and I told my dad that I am not in the mood to go. But he insisted. You can read more about it here.

About your education

Studied Medicine but have now dedicated myself completely to writing.

What career did you plan during your education days

My mind was always set on becoming a doctor (a doctor who also writes)

What languages you can speak and write?

English, Hindi and Marathi.

What is your biggest source of inspiration in life?

I believe in myself and my faith in God inspires me to do what I am doing and live each day as it comes. I am a firm believer of Saibaba.

What hurts you most in this world

It really hurts to see how manipulation and pretention has become a way of living for most of the people. Honesty is being lost somewhere amidst the race for survival. What hurts the most is that manipulation and pretention are also affecting human relationships.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

Cannot really put finger on a particular challenge as such but in general, whatever I have faced in life that seemed challenging, I could and I did overcome it by believing in myself and having faith in God.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

Mother Teresa. I admire her for the caring nature and the heart. How she dedicated her life to people and did what she believed she had to do and was sent on earth to do.

What is your favorite genre and why?

Romance Fiction. Why? I don’t know how to answer this. Maybe, because of my nature and also because this is the genre in which I write? People who read my blog would know that almost all my posts are on Relationships.

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?

I started writing (as such) when I was twelve. To begin with, my writings were only journal entries that helped me vent out. I became really serious about writing when a short story of mine was published in my college magazine. The purpose of my writing is to give people something to read which will help them unwind in this fast paced life. That is one of the reasons why most of my writings are for free reading on my blog.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

I have self-published two short-story books so far. My Life-Story (Fiction) and another book of two short stories (Is This Love & Autumn – The Last Leaf). Latest book released is my Novel : Resemblance – The Journey of a Doppelganger.

The details of all the books can be found under “Books at SFTH” in Navigation Menu of Straight From The Heart. Another two books listed there are the titles I had published as a publisher, few years ago.

I would like to share the synopsis of the Novel (Resemblance – The Journey of a Doppelganger) here:

When you perform on stage in school or college days, you try your best to become one with the character you portray in the play. The applause from audience is the prize you get for your performance and dedication.

However, it is totally different if you have to play the role in your real life. Portraying someone else, being one with someone, giving your best shot to be that person is not as easy as acting on stage. And, the applause does not come. Silent gratitude from the person to whom it makes the difference and hostility from those who are offended, without you wanting to offend them, is all you get in real life for role-playing.

When Sneha sees Ajay for the first time, she is not aware her life is going to turn upside – down. She does not know she is about to lose her individuality and step into someone else’s shoes willingly. What seems like love at first sight for her also means facing responsibilities which she is not sure, initially, whether she is ready to accept. The intensity of her feelings for Ajay, however, finally makes her take up the challenge of role playing of a wife and a mother.
Resemblance begins with Sneha being exposed to the shocking fact that she resembles a woman she has never met before in her life, a woman who is the wife of the man she falls in love with. The story completes a full circle when in the end Sneha finally reaches where she is meant to be, being who she is really meant to be. She faces the hostility of few people, swims through the sea of emotions, accepts the challenge of life and battles the desires which take a toll on her peace of mind to finally fulfil her true purpose in life.

On one hand, Resemblance takes us on a journey of Sneha’s life and on other hand it also tells us about the depth of mother’s love for her child, which overcomes even the barrier set by death.

What are your forthcoming writings?

I write poems and stories as and when I get ideas for the same and publish them on my blog for free reading. All of my short stories (even those published as series) are instant write-ups and published immediately. The latest short story written is Here Now … There The Next Moment (it can be read here).

I am also working on a Novel.

What are your future plans?

Like I have mentioned before, I am working on a Novel. At the same time, poems and short stories would keep coming on Straight From The Heart (so make sure you keep visiting).

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

Most importantly, I take care that whatever I write is in simple language, which makes it easy for the readers to visualize my writings. Secondly, I try to convey a positive message through my work. Thirdly, like most of my readers already know, I pay more attention to the emotional aspect rather than character description.

One of my quotes states, “Instead of writing about the color of lipstick the female protagonist wears, I prefer to write about how her lips quiver as she tries desperately to hold back the flood of tears from flowing out of her eyes and revealing her weakness to the person she wants to hide it from.”

Listed fourth but equally important is making sure the writing is properly edited.

Your dream destination on Earth?

A place amidst nature where I can sit and write as long as I wish to :)

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

Born in Mumbai.

Your favorite time of the day?

Night. Since it is peaceful and I can concentrate on reading and/or writing.

Your zodiac/ sunsign?

Sunsign: Virgo. Moonsign: Sagittarius

Your favorite color and why?

Blue. Calms me down when I am angry and helps me to relax.

Your favorite book and why?

So many, cannot really pick one. Though, special mention to “The Secret” by Rhonda Byrne which influenced my life is a very important and positive way.

Your favorite food?

Steam rice and dal with ghee and lemon :)

Some quickies: Sun or Moon, Laughter or Smile, Morning or Evening, Coffee or Tea, Mountain or Sea, Long Drive or Short Drive, Silence or Conversation, Water or Fire, Air or Earth, Mars or Jupiter, Moon or Sun, Tulip or Rose, Red or Blue, Left or Right, Glance or Stare.

Moon. Laughter. Evening. Coffee. Sea. Long drive. Silence. Water. Earth. Mars. (Repeat: Moon). Rose. Blue. Right. Glance.

State your signature line/ tagline/ best quote

“Always keep smiling; someone might be needing it more than you do.

The last line of your autobiography would be…

 Every writer has a story to tell...

And a story, which he / she can never tell!

The book is currently available for sale online on Pothi.com
http://pothi.com/pothi/book/arti-honrao-resemblance-journey-doppelganger

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code