Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Author Interview: Clodagh Murphy: Latest Novel: Some Girls Do

Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers
Links:
Twitter: @ClodaghMMurphy
Amazon: goo.gl/UHHS5B

Your real name and pen name?
My real name is Clodagh Murphy and that's also the name I publish under.

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood
I had a very happy childhood. I have two brothers and two sisters, and we had a lot of fun together as well as a lot of fights. There were a lot of kids in our neighbourhood too, so there were plenty of people to play with, and we were always in and out of each other’s houses. It was very safe and we were free to roam around on our own quite a lot. We had brilliant Halloweens.
My parents didn't have a lot of money, but we always went away for a summer holiday, visiting different parts of Ireland. My father loved driving and I have lots of happy memories of Sunday drives, picnics and long summer days at the beaches near home in Dublin.

About your education/What career did you plan during your education days
I went to university for a year to study French and Spanish, but decided it wasn't for me. After that I did a secretarial course and started to work. I always wanted to be a writer, so I got office jobs as a sort of stop-gap until I could become a full-time writer. I've had a lot of stop-gap jobs since then ...

What languages you can speak and write?
I can speak and write a little bit of French and Spanish, but I'm only fluent in English.

If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?
I'd like to be Marilyn Monroe. I'm fascinated by her, and there's still so much mystery surrounding her. I'd love to know some of her secrets.

What is your favorite genre and why?
I read a wide variety of books, but if you're talking about genres, I guess I would have to say my favourite is chick lit/romantic comedy. That's the kind of fiction I write because it's what I love to read. I like the happy endings, I love anything that makes me laugh, and I'm a sucker for romance.  I also prefer stories that are grounded in reality. I'm not a fan of fantasy.

When did you start writing? What is the purpose of your writing?
I've been writing since childhood. It's just something I always did – it was like a compulsion to me. I would say the purpose of my writing is primarily to entertain. I write to make people laugh and to move readers and make them connect with something on an emotional level. I also like to explore what makes people behave the way they do and become the kind of people they are.

Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?
I've had four novels published so far and one ebook novella. My previous books are The Disengagement Ring, Girl in a Spin, Frisky Business and Scenes of a Sexual Nature (novella).  Here's a synopsis of my latest book, Some Girls Do:

Claire Kennedy is NiceGirl, the anonymous author of steamy blog 'Scenes of a Sexual Nature'. An internet sensation, she attracts the attention of Mark Bell, a hot London publisher. But when it becomes clear that Mark is interested in more than just a book deal, Claire has to act fast. Because little does Mark know that NiceGirl is a lot more experienced in the bedroom than real-life Claire Kennedy.
Mark is offering Claire the life she's always dreamed of – a steady relationship, the literary world of London and a posh Highgate apartment.
But when Claire hires the services of struggling artist and commitment-phobe Luca to brush up on her sex skills, things get more complicated. As her two worlds collide, Claire embarks on an adventure that could change her life.

What are your forthcoming writings?
I'm working on a couple of things at the moment, including a new romantic comedy novel. But it's at the very early stages, so I can't tell you much about it. I don't do much planning for my novels. Apart from a very sketchy outline, I tend to just dive in and see where it takes me.

What four top most things you take care of while writing a book?

1.   
Characters – Having a good feel for the characters is essential. If you know your characters inside-out from the start, it makes the writing so much easier. You know how they'd behave and react in any situation, and you know how they'd speak, the language they'd use. Knowing who your characters are will make them more alive for the reader and therefore more engaging.

2.  
Story – You need to have a compelling story that you're dying to tell. It's important to make sure the plot hangs together and makes sense, and will be believable.

3.  
It goes without saying, but the writing itself is the most important part of all. Fluid, vivid prose and good dialogue will bring the book alive for the reader.

4.  
I pay a lot of attention to making sure the book does what it sets out to do. As I'm writing romantic comedy, I work hard at making my books deliver on both comedy and romance, and making them as strong as possible in both those elements.

Your dream destination on Earth?
Everywhere. I love travelling and there are very few places on earth I'm not interested in going, or revisiting if I've already been there. At the moment Russia and South America are high on my list. A few years ago, a friend and I had planned a trip to Tibet, but we both had to cancel, so I still want to make it there some day.

Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?
I'm from Ireland. I've travelled to a lot of countries in Europe, and also to North America, India, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Jordan, South Africa, Morocco and Namibia. I love experiencing a different culture, meeting people and getting an insight into different ways of life.  I just love everything about travelling and being somewhere completely different. Food is always a highlight of travel for me, and trying the food has been one of my favourite things about all the countries I've travelled to.

Your favorite time of the day?
Evening

Your zodiac/ sunsign?
Cancer

Your favorite color and why?
Purple. I don't know why, I'm just drawn to it.

Your favorite food?
It's hard to choose. I love food. But cheese is definitely up there.

Some quickies:
Sun or Moon - Sun
Laughter or Smile - Laughter
Morning or Evening - Evening
Coffee or Tea – Both
Mountain or Sea - Sea
Long Drive or Short Drive – Long drive
Silence or Conversation - Both
Water or Fire - Water
Tulip or Rose – Tulip

The last line of your autobiography would be…
And that was just the beginning ...


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code