Saturday, December 07, 2013

Author Interview: Barbara Levenson: Running For Office In Columbus, Ohio Was A Big Challenge

Your real name and pen name?

NAME:  Barbara Levenson,  No pen name

Please share some of the best memories of your childhood


CHILDHOOD MEMORIES: Christmas or Birthday receiving books as gifts and holing up for hours reading.



About your education

EDUCATION  I was raised in Central Ohio, attended grade school in a brick building built in 1863.  Attended Bexley High School, a suburb of Columbus, Ohio, that boasts of having the most active alumni association in the country.  Attended the University of Michigan, much to the chagrin of my Columbus friends who were raised on Ohio State football.  Attended the University of Alabama where I met my husband.  Graduate of the University of Miami School of Law and am a dedicated alum and Hurricane sports fan.



What career did you plan during your education days

MY CAREER PLANS WHILE IN SCHOOL  I wanted to go to law school, but in those "dark ages" I was told women just didn't go to law school so I majored in journalism since I've always loved to write.  Some years later, after having two children, I did return to law school, served as a prosecutor, ran my own law office and finally served as a criminal court judge.



What is your biggest source of inspiration in life

BIGGEST SOURCE OF INSPIRATION  My husband who can accomplish anything from scoring the best tickets to everything, planning trips, making wise investments, and motivating me to do everything I've ever dreamed of doing.



What hurts you most in this world

WHAT HURTS ME MOST  When I hear of "fat cats" giving millions of dollars just to see their names on buildings, but ignoring the plight of hungry children and disabled citizens right in their own communities.



What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?

MY BIGGEST CHALLENGE  Running for office in Columbus, Ohio, as a young woman when no woman had ever run or been elected. (I won)  Running against an incumbent judge in Miami when everyone said I was on a suicide mission and

the week before the election, Miami was pulverized by Hurricane Andrew. (I won)



If you had to live a day of your life as one of the living or dead personality, who would it be and why?

A DAY IN MY LIFE AS SOMEONE ELSE  The governor of Florida so I could overturn all the foolish and destructive executive decisions such as refusing Medicaid funds and funds for high speed rail, and  throwing stumbling blocks in the way of citizens' voting rights.



What is your favorite genre and why?

FAVORITE GENRE  It's obviously mysteries. That's why I write them. Mystery novels allow the reader to lose themselves for a few hours and follow the clues.



What is the purpose of your writing?

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF MY WRITING To entertain the readers



Which of your work has been published so far? Would you like to share a synopsis of your work?

MY PUBLISHED WORKS: The Mary Magruder Katz Mystery Series:  Fatal February, Justice in June, and Outrageous October.  (Next book in the series Neurotic November)



What are your forthcoming writings?


FUTURE WRITINGS   When I finish the series, I will be writing more serious novels, concerning viewpoints of the aging, memories of  the war years, and commentary on generational viewpoints.  They still will be entertaining, however.


What are your future plans?

FUTURE PLANS   To keep waking up every morning and being sure my name isn't

on the obituary page.



Your dream destination on Earth?

DREAM DESTINATION   A photo safari in Africa to view the animals up close



Your origin of birth and other countries you have visited/ stayed. What best things you liked in these countries around the globe?

PAST TRAVELS   I have been in almost every state in the U.S. including Hawaii and Alaska and all parts of Canada traveling to show my award winning German Shepherds.  I have been to England, Scotland, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Norway, Denmark, and Sweden.   Most of the islands of the Caribbean and Bermuda.  Next summer I am going to Ireland. There was something to like every place I've ever gone.  My favorite place in the world is Vermont and Northern New England where we have a second home.  It's so different from our home of the last 38 years in Miami so the change clears my head.  There is no traffic, no billboards on highways, no show-off type people and best of all, the women wear sensible shoes!


Your favorite time of the day?

FAVORITE TIME OF DAY   Late afternoon, after sitting at the computer writing I take my dog for a good walk and then come home for the cocktail hour.



Your favorite color and why?

FAVORITE COLOR   Yellow because it looks like sunlight and happiness



Your favorite book and why?

FAVORITE BOOK   Anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald



Your favorite celebrity and why?

FAVORITE CELEBRITY  Hilary Clinton because she stands the best chance to become the first woman president.



Your favorite food?

FAVORITE FOOD  Anything pasta or pizza followed by any decadent chocolate dessert

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.

badge buzzoole code